Consultant for SERI
Organization: Room to Read
Apply By: 11 Dec 2023
Location: Lucknow(Uttar Pradesh)
Position: Consultant for SERI
No. of Vacancies: 01
Contract term:11 Months
Program: Scaling-up Early Reading Intervention (SERI) project
Position Location: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
In its mission to make independent readers, in 2015, Room to Read India intervened through the Scaling-up Early Reading Intervention (SERI) project to widen Early Grade Reading among young children. With support from USAID, this program was implemented in the primary schools of Uttarakhand, Chhattisgarh, Uttar Pradesh, and Madhya Pradesh. From 2023, Rajasthan and Telangana have also been added to the program.
The intervention started with a few hundred schools (I-Do/Demonstration schools) across the states of Uttarakhand and Chhattisgarh in 2015 which later scaled-up (We-Do/Scale-up) to 1000 schools in these two states in 2016. 1000 more schools of Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh were reached in 2017.
The results of the impact evaluation study conducted after two years of intervention in SERI demonstration schools showed that school children made 1.5 to 2 times greater progress than their comparison school counterparts on the various reading skills assessed. Additionally, the results from SERI project study suggests that the impact of the program was sustained even when it was scaled up across larger geographies supporting the effectiveness of the scale-up model as proposed by Room to Read.
Continuous advocacy around FLN at the national level by USAID/India, along with its partner Room to Read through SERI (Scaling-up Early Reading Intervention), combined with efforts by several other organizations have resulted in the focus on FLN in the NEP 2020, and subsequent launch of Mission NIPUN Bharat 2021. There is now a general salience at the policy level around foundational literacy. While the ‘why’ i.e., the rationale of FLN has largely been resolved, and the ‘what’ i.e., the outcome has been articulated in NIPUN guidelines, the ‘how’ that is the process, still needs a more emphatic push from the National level. To further streamline this, it is therefore felt necessary to closely engage with national-level institutes and bodies to influence the FLN practices in the states.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develop a thorough understanding of the SERI program.
- Support the state team in the effective implementation of the activities.
- Frequent visits to DIETs to ensure the use of the library or reading corners.
- Support the state team in conducting and facilitating different workshops like library management, gender, etc. at the state and district level.
- Manage relationships with school, community and government counterparts and respond to issues that may arise in these relationships.
- Document the reports of the workshops and share them with the state team.
- Collaborate with universities and departments for the development of courses on children's literature.
- Build and manage relationships with DIET, and BEOs to enhance ownership towards the program.
- Track the progress of implementation and expenditures through regular review meetings and field visits; flag off deviations and delays at the earliest; ensure proper documentation of the meeting including follow-up actions.
- Liaison with district education departments to explore opportunities for technical assistance.
- Read and update oneself regarding the current national/international research in the field.
- Provide technical oversight to DIET/district-level officials and support them in their coaching and communication with government teachers and schools.
- Prepare cash advance, settlement, and reimbursement for program activities.
- Assist the Literacy Program Operations Officer/ Senior Associate in preparing programmatic and financial reports.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in education / social sciences or equivalent.
- Master’s degree in education / social sciences or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant experience in the education sector.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in state language.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Proven track record of achieving results.
- Proven ability to work effectively with schools and communities.
- Ability to travel regularly to project sites in remote locations.
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people.
- Prior experience working in a non-profit organization that is focused on maintaining high-quality work and low overhead.
- Prior experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented global or regional organization.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative.
- Prior experience of working with DIETs.
- Prior experience working in the domain of gender, library, and children's literature.
- Interview and Written Assignment
How to Apply
Kindly submit your detailed CV at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Consultant for SERI-Room To Read India Trust”
- Last date of submission: 11th December 2023 (12PM).
- Read the TOR thoroughly before applying.
- Only application of shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
- Any incomplete application or process deviation, the proposal will automatically be rejected.
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd