Research Associate (Planning)
Organization: Indian Institute for Human Settlements
Apply By: 20 Dec 2023
Location: Bengaluru(Karnataka) Chennai(Tamil Nadu)
About the Organization
India’s urbanisation is the second largest rural to urban transition in human history. By the middle of the century, at least 800 million Indians will live in cities and they will constitute more than half of India’s population. This is not just a demographic transition. Urbanisation is fundamentally changing India’s economy, society, culture, natural and built environments as well as politics. Our national development now hinges on urbanisation being handled with wisdom.
Launching a set of core Urban missions in 2015 including Smart Cities, AMRUT, PMAY, HRIDAY and Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, ‘it would have been very beneficial if we had recognised urbanisation as an opportunity 25–30 years earlier and treated it as a foundation’.
The School of Economic Development is looking for a research associate interested in economic planning and development. The incumbent will be part of an active practice project with the Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA), as part of which IIHS will be providing recommendations for economic planning for the Chennai metropolitan region. We require a dynamic and motivated individual who is capable of working to multiple deadlines, and of working in a large interdisciplinary team.
The core responsibility of the position will be to conduct policy and plan analysis and literature review in the context of economic planning for the project, to undertake spatial analysis of multiple datasets, to organise and be a part of stakeholder consultations and to carry out stakeholder interviews, to work with the team to arrive at recommendations based on primary and secondary data analysis, and to coordinate with the Client as required. The candidate will also be responsible for coordinating across multiple teams and will work towards production of reports and presentations required as part of the project.
This is a contractual engagement for a term of 11 months.
Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Collecting, analysing and synthesising relevant plan and policy documents, historic documents;
- Conducting literature review and synthesising;
- Carrying out stakeholder interviews and organising stakeholder workshops;
- Conducting primary and secondary research for the project;
- Collecting inputs from relevant team members/ external stakeholders and synthesising it for various outputs;
- Coordinating with the client and with internal team members;
- Report writing and making presentations;
- Providing support in project management;
- Providing support to other IIHS activities including academics, research, training, practice, operations and others;
- Participating in all activities of Institution-Building at IIHS; carrying out tasks as assigned by IIHS; and travelling on IIHS work within or outside the country as and when needed.
Education Qualification/Required Skills Experience
The ideal candidate should have:
- A Graduate and Post graduate degree in Urban Planning or related disciplines;
- Prior experience of at least 5 years related to Urban Planning, Urban Economy, Economic Development or Labour and Employment studies;
- Experience with report writing; basic familiarity with design is preferred;
- Familiarity with the Tamil language and Chennai region (preferable);
- Ease in working with inter-disciplinary teams, and engaging with external stakeholders.
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd