Senior Regional Organizing Specialist (Asia)
Apply By: No Deadline
Location: (Work From Home)
350.org is looking for a passionate and committed Senior Regional Organizing Specialist, with experience in social movements as an organizer, facilitator or trainer and knowledge about the Asia climate justice campaigning landscape.
350.org is building a global grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis. Our online campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions are led from the bottom up by thousands of volunteer organizers in over 188 countries. 350.org works hard to organize in a new way—everywhere at once, using online tools to facilitate strategic offline action. We want to be a laboratory for the best ways to strengthen the climate movement and catalyze transformation around the world. The values that guide and drive our work are listed here.
350.org is an equal opportunity employer. 350.org strives to be an inclusive and collaborative group of people who bring a variety of approaches to the work we do. We’re committed to the principles of justice, and we try to build a safe workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys working together. We value new perspectives, ideas of all sorts, and different ways of working. Diverse perspectives and experiences improve the way 350.org carries out our work – including what we decide to work on and how creatively/effectively we do that. We do our best to make staff positions accessible to all potential team members, regardless of race, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, assigned gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion or creed, veteran status, marital or parental status, and genetic information. We also strive to include team members in communities most impacted by climate change or impacted by other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustice.
About the Senior Regional Organizing Specialist
The 350.org Asia regional program for FY23 onwards centers on powering up a movement for just climate solutions in the region. We work hard so that our movement is intersectional, intergenerational and builds upon shared values of care, solidarity and justice. Together, we will shift finance flows out of dirty energy into community-centered renewable energy, further deepen our ties with our existing network as well as exponentially grow and diversify our base for just energy solutions and climate justice – seeing solutions organizing and movement-building as crucial tools for people-led resistance against fossil fuels.
The Senior Regional Organizing Specialist will be responsible for supporting 350.org Asia’s base network as well as leading an online-to-offline organizing strategy that aims to exponentially grow the number of activists that win transformational climate campaigns internationally. They will be driving, tracking and analyzing multi-platform and online to offline engagement, ensuring our base and new supporters are sustainably engaged in key moments, and leaders and groups within our movements are empowered, supported and connected.
This position will work as part of 350.org Asia team and will be working closely with the Asia Managing Director and the Asia Digital Manager, the 350 Asia network, other regional organizers in the 350 global team for cross-country collaborations and key mobilization moments, and other partners in the climate movement in Asia.
By “local group” we mean a local organising/campaigning group that 350 staff regularly interact with as part of our global network, such as a 350 Group, Fossil Free Group, Student Led Local Group, Community-Based Org, or a Partner or Alliance/Network that is viewed as a local group. In this context, ‘local’ means that the group is rooted in a geographic place.
Affiliates refer to national or state/province-level groups that are registered organisations with their own staff and budget.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Strengthening and implementing a regional organizing strategy with the team in line with 350 Asia’s solutions strategic direction
- Devising and delivering creative convenings, trainings and other activities to engage the network and new supporters, in partnership with a diverse range of partners and groups across the Asia region
- Actively participating in the development of network-led, cross-regional and global organizing and movement support strategies. Collaborating specifically with local 350 organizers in country teams in Indonesia and Japan as well as Bangladesh for moments to sync organizing plans and goals
- Driving, tracking and analyzing multi-platform online to offline engagement with 350.org local groups, allies and supporters using digital organizing tools. Reporting these numbers and keeping the team informed, with guidelines on how to improve existing strategies and re-calibrate accordingly.
- Supporting an active network of local groups, partners and activists in Asia region to achieve common campaigning goals for solutions and a just transition, with support for playing a design, facilitation and logistical support role during meetings, gatherings, and 350-led trainings
- Building 1:1 relationships with local groups and leaders. Coordinating and supporting ongoing organizing work to support campaign development on the ground by local groups and members of 350’s network
- Tracking supporter engagement using digital tools and internal metrics, utilizing both offline and online tools such as Salesforce, network gatherings and reporting tools to ensure program delivery
- Exploring other organizing opportunities based on existing regional partners’ and network-led work to scale up the climate movement
- 3 years or more of experience as an organizer, facilitator or trainer in social movements, with knowledge about the Asia climate justice campaigning landscape
- 2 years or more experience leading, facilitating and designing convening spaces and climate trainings for activists in the Asia region that aim to empower and connect the movement, as well as demonstrated ability to articulate reflections and learnings from these pieces as part of a wider organizing strategy
- Experience in leading budget management, tracking and reporting for internal international programs.
- Demonstrated willingness to manage and advocate for resource support for local and grassroots organizations with demonstrated needs for on-ground campaigns and activities
- Commitment to upholding Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion values, building these into strategy through thoughtful consideration of multi-cultural and diverse perspectives in the regional organizing strategy
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, with fluency in English. Fluency in other languages in Asia is a plus.
- Ability to communicate in clear and creative ways about the connections between climate justice as it intersects with other issues
- Highly organized, skilled at prioritization and time management, and able to manage multiple tasks
Desired (but not required) skills and experiences
- Experience with other issues as they intersect with climate advocacy, such as gender justice, human rights, workers’ rights
- Experience in youth organizing or supporting youth-led groups
- Fundraising experience for key programs
- 1 year or more of experience of using digital tools for decentralized, volunteer-driven campaigns. Proven experience at the intersection of online and offline organizing, including using digital tools and communications to recruit volunteers to take on-the-ground action and sustaining supporters’ long-term engagement
- Experience using at least some of the key tools employed by the 350.org digital team, including ActionKit, Action Network, Salesforce, WordPress, mass and peer-to-peer SMS tools, social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Discord, Tiktok and Instagram), and digital advertising (Facebook and Twitter Ads, Google Analytics) — or the willingness and ability to quickly learn how to use new tools and techniques.
We are looking for someone who is comfortable working both independently and in teams, highly responsive, and able to lead initiatives as well as take direction from others.
Position Type: Full-time
Start Date: This job is open until filled, or the hiring manager determines that they can no longer accept applications.
Compensation: Salary tier 2.1 (Click here to view the salary table)
Location: Remote in one of the following countries - Indonesia, Japan, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan or Turkey
If you have suggestions for us on how to do this better, we really value your input and strongly encourage you to write to us at email@example.com with the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback’.
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd